Parents and carers of 16 to 19-year-olds have less than one week left to confirm whether their teenager is staying in full-time education or approved training.

While young people are considering their future beyond their GCSE or Scottish National Certificate results, HMRC is asking parents and carers to make sure they update their Child Benefit records by 31st August 2022, or risk seeing their payments end.

HMRC has written to 1.3 million parents and carers of children, who are in the last year of school or education, to remind them to update their Child Benefit records. More than 600,000 families have already, but many have yet to do so.

Parents and carers can update their Child Benefit records using their Personal Tax Account, by returning a completed copy of the form they were sent earlier in the year, or by telephone.

Angela MacDonald, HMRC’s Deputy Chief Executive and Second Permanent Secretary:

Child Benefit provides vital financial support for families and we want to make sure no-one misses out because they haven’t updated their details on time.

The quickest way to notify HMRC is via your Personal Tax Account online, or search ‘child benefit when your child turns 16’ on GOV.UK for more information or further options for contacting us.

Child Benefit is paid to eligible parents or carers who are responsible for a child under 16, or under 20 if they are in full-time non-advanced education or approved training. This includes A-levels/ Scottish Highers, NVQs up to Level 3, or certain traineeships – check the list of approved courses and training schemes.

If parents or carers have an income over £50,000 (or their partner does) and receive Child Benefit, they may have to pay the High Income Child Benefit Charge via an annual Self Assessment tax return.

Child Benefit is worth £21.80 per week for a first child and £14.45 for each additional child. There’s no limit to the number of children it can be claimed for. Making a Child Benefit claim also ensures qualifying for National Insurance credits, which contribute towards State Pension and can, in some circumstances, be transferred to a grandparent or other family member who helps with childcare – known as Specified Adult Childcare Credits (SACC).

The government is also offering help for households with cost of living support.

PAYadvice.UK 25/8/2022

Leave a Reply