Marriage Allowance

S&C by PSP (c)2019

It is thought that millions of qualifying couples are missing out and have not applied for their marriage tax allowance. If one of the couple have reduced income due to family commitments or for other reasons, then this allowance may benefit you.

Please note that you can apply for the marriage allowance yourself and for free. If you feel it is too complicated, then PAYadvice can assist for a moderate fee. Do not pay the extortionate fees some organisations that advertise on Facebook and elsewhere charge.

You can benefit by £250 per year

Marriage Allowance lets you transfer £1,250 of your Personal Allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner. This reduces tax by up to £250 each tax year.

Who can apply

Those with the following may apply:

  • you are married or in a civil partnership
  • you do not pay Income Tax or your income is below your Personal Allowance (usually £12,500)
  • your partner pays Income Tax at the basic rate, which usually means their income is between £12,501 and £50,000 before they receive Marriage Allowance

If you’re in Scotland, your partner must pay the starter, basic or intermediate rate, which usually means their income is between £12,501 and £43,430.

You cannot claim Marriage Allowance if you’re living together but you’re not married or in a civil partnership.

What about prior years?

You can backdate your claim to include any tax year since 5 April 2016 that you were eligible. Your partner’s tax bill will be reduced depending on the Personal Allowance rate for those years.

If your partner has died since 5 April 2016 you can still claim – phone the Income Tax helpline. If your partner was the lower earner, the person responsible for managing their tax affairs needs to phone.


You can apply for Marriage Allowance online. The person who has the lowest taxable income should make the claim.

If either gets other income, such as dividends or savings, you may need to work out who should claim. You can call the Income Tax helpline if you’re unsure.

Changes to your Personal Allowances will be backdated to the start of the tax year (6 April) if your application is successful.

This means that you may be able to receive over £900 for past years, and a saving of £250 going forward.

How your tax code will change

You and your partner will get a new tax codes reflects the transferred allowances:

  • ‘M’ if you are receiving the allowance
  • ‘N’ if you are transferring the allowance

Where do I get help?

You can make the claim yourself for free. There are businesses that claim they can recover up to £3,000 in compensation, they can’t.

Many will charge you hundreds of pounds to undertake the claim, some couples indicate that they never received the money from these unscrupulous companies.

PAYadvice is a regulated and supervised for Anti-Money laundering and an authorised HMRC agent who abides by the agents code. If you feel the process of claiming marriage allowance is too complicated to do for yourself, then we can help for a modest fee of £25. Any rebate due will be paid to you direct from HM Revenue and Customs.

PAYadvice would need to undertake AML due diligence and collect some some identification details. PAYadvice abides by GDPR and are registered with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) for data protection.

PAYadvice.UK 24/8/2020

Leave a Reply