Check what financial help you can get from HMRC

HM Revenue and Customs claim to want to make it as easy as possible for individuals and their family to claim any benefits, credits and allowances that they might be entitled to.

They have pulled together a list of all support they can offer.

Find out about tax reliefs and financial support available from HMRC.

Get help with childcare

Child Benefit

You can claim Child Benefit if you’re responsible for bringing up a child who is:

  • under 16
  • under 20 if they stay in approved education or training

Only one person can get Child Benefit for a child.

It’s paid every 4 weeks and there’s no limit to how many children you can claim for.

Tax-Free Childcare

You can get up to £500 every 3 months (up to £2,000 a year) for each of your children to help with the costs of childcare. This goes up to £1,000 every 3 months if a child is disabled (up to £4,000 a year).

Check if you’re eligible for Tax-Free Childcare, how to apply and how to pay your childcare provider:

Find out how to claim tax relief on money you’ve spent on things like work uniform and clothing, tools, subscriptions or business travel.

Claim Marriage Allowance

Marriage Allowance allows you to transfer 10% (£1,260) of your personal tax allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner if you earn less than the personal tax allowance, which is usually £12,570.

Get help with savings

Get help with savings if you’re on a low income (Help to Save)

Help to Save is a savings account. If you’re entitled to Working Tax Credit or you’re receiving Universal Credit, you can get a bonus of 50p for every £1 you save over 4 years.

Child Trust Funds

A Child Trust Fund is a long-term tax-free savings account for children born between 1st September 2002 and 2nd January 2011.

For those who hold an account but do not know the Child Trust Fund provider, or if you’re unsure whether you have one or not, we can help you find out.

Get help if you cannot pay your tax bill

Contact HMRC as soon as possible if you cannot pay your tax bill. They are there to help, and you may be able to pay what you owe in instalments, depending on your circumstances and what you can afford.

Find out what to do:

PAYadvice.UK 13/4/2022

Leave a Reply