First day Self Assessment filing doubles

More Self Assessment customers are submitting their tax return on the first day of the tax year.

The number of Self Assessment filers who choose to file their tax return on the first day of the tax year (6th April 2023) has more than doubled since 2018, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has revealed.

More than 77,500 customers submitted their tax return for the 2022 to 2023 tax year on 6th April 2023, compared to almost 37,000 customers on 6th April 2018.

The deadline to file tax returns for the 2022 to 2023 tax year is 31st January 2024 and filers have been able to submit theirs since the start of the new tax year.

By completing the Self Assessment early, they have avoided the stress of last-minute filing – something which encouraged more than 860,000 to file their tax return for the 2021 to 2022 tax year on 31st January 2023.

Myrtle Lloyd, HMRC’s Director General for Customer Services:

Filing your Self Assessment early means you can spend more time building your business or doing the things that you enjoy and less time worrying about completing your tax return. To find out how you can start yours and get help with budget planning, search ‘Self Assessment’ on GOV.UK.

Filers can find out sooner if they are owed money. Once they have submitted their tax return for the 2022 to 2023 tax year, HMRC will let the, know as soon as the return has been processed and arrange for any overpayment to be refunded. They can also check if they are due a refund in the HMRC app once they have filed their return.

Those who file early also benefit from knowing how much tax they owe and can set up a budget plan to help spread the cost and manage their payments. The Budget Payment Plan allows them to choose how much and how often they want to pay – putting them in control of managing their bill.

Taxpayers can check if they need to complete a tax return by using the free online tool on GOV.UK. They may need to do Self Assessment if, for example, they:

  • are newly self-employed and have earned over £1,000
  • are a new partner in a business partnership
  • have received any untaxed income
  • are claiming Child Benefit and you or your partner have an income above £50,000

HMRC has updated guidance on filing tax returns early and help around paying tax bills.

It is important to let HMRC know if there are any changes in details or circumstances such as a new address or name, or if they are no longer self-employed or their business has closed down. They should not assume someone else will update HMRC on their behalf.

If they no longer need to do Self Assessment, they will need to tell HMRC.

How do I cancel my Self Assessment registration?

HMRC is reminding filers to protect their personal information and always be on their guard against tax scams. If contacted by someone saying they are from HMRC, they should never let themselves be rushed, especially if they are urged to transfer money or share personal information. Do not share HMRC login details with anyone, including tax agent. Tax scams come in many forms – some offer a rebate while others threaten arrest for tax evasion. HMRC advises tax payers to take their time and if they’re unsure, check HMRC scams advice on GOV.UK.

Filing figures for the first day of the tax year

*This figure does not include amendments or returns filed for previous years.

Almost 97% now file their Self Assessment tax returns online. HMRC no longer automatically issue paper returns unless there’s a reason someone can’t file online. If needing a paper form, call HMRC and request form SA100. They may ask you about your reasons for not filing online, so they can tell you about the support they can offer you.

Help and support

HMRC states that it wants to help you get your tax right. There’s lots of information and support you can access online without ringing them:

PAYadvice.UK 20/5/2023

Leave a Reply